To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you’ll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don’t forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.
sounds reasonable to me.
sounds very reasonable.
All these countries with fantastic ideas on how to keep these shootings from happening, and we’re still quibbling with a bunch of idiots who have seen all the mass shootings that have happened this year and STILL go “butbutbut I NEED MY GUNS!”
In most instances? No. You don’t.
Honestly? I’d be happy to see that damned second amendment just go away. Let’s make them all illegal except under very few circumstances, and those VERY few people should be under rules just like Japan’s, plus the biometrics ideas put up earlier. (And I don’t really think your everyday police officer should carry them, either. There’s just too much potential for abuse of power. Tasers? Fine. Pepper spray/mace, and/or other nonlethal methods of self-defense? Fine. Give them better armor so they don’t get hurt? Great. But guns (with those very few exceptions) need to go the fuck away.
That’s just my opinion. I don’t pretend to know guns, and I’m fine with that. But you know what I DO know?
TW: Gun violence, suicide
In seventh grade, I had one friend. She and I were pretty inseparable. She had a five year old brother, who was just playing around and chasing his sister, annoying the hell out of her one day. This was in Texas, and I knew a lot of people who had guns. My best friend’s father was no exception.
Her father thought he’d hidden his handgun well enough, in a cabinet, under stacks and stacks of phone books. He also thought the gun was unloaded and all ammo was locked in his room. He was wrong on both counts.
Her five year old brother found it. He thought it was a toy, and he thought it would be funny to chase his sister with. Their parents were out of the house, and her brother aimed the gun at her… And pulled off the one-in-a-million chance that he’d not only shoot correctly, but got off a headshot.
My best friend was dead before the ambulances got to her.
Her parents divorced in grief afterwards, and her brother is no longer alive, either. He didn’t make it through middle school. He killed himself because he couldn’t live with the idea that he’d killed his sister, no matter that it was an innocent mistake.
This, and all of the shootings that have happened this year - from the Dark Knight shooting to the blatant murder of the black family in NC who did nothing wrong but ask some asshole that if he was gonna fire his gun for no reason, to please do it away from their kids - should be made to never happen again.
These kids’ safety should come far before the NRA’s whining about a well-armed citizen militia. The second amendment is not necessary and, frankly, not really valid anymore.
You see, gun lovers? Something like this would allow you to keep your guns. You would just have to go through a shit ton of hoops to get them.
But nooooooo, let’s make it easy to get weapons so more mass murders can happen!
- resoan reblogged this from aonorunic
- historia-reiiss reblogged this from reiconcorps
- fandomsaredumb reblogged this from reiconcorps
- just-keep-silence likes this
- llimeade likes this
- everlasting-benediction reblogged this from reiconcorps
- longleggedgit likes this
- moongoddesskuyen likes this
- a-little-miss-conception reblogged this from xachyn
- xachyn reblogged this from reiconcorps
- reiconcorps reblogged this from friedeggpajamas
- friedeggpajamas reblogged this from madithefreckled
- bleinydays reblogged this from ftmanonimo
- jrayszandor reblogged this from ftmanonimo
- like-strawberry--wine reblogged this from kaydentransguy
- thranduil-theelvenking reblogged this from ftmanonimo
- hayrebeccah likes this
- sixthgradeslut likes this
- eidetic-yromem likes this
- kaydentransguy reblogged this from ftmanonimo
- kaydentransguy likes this
- ftmanonimo reblogged this from excusememistersir
- n0thanx reblogged this from wind-sand-and-stars
- wind-sand-and-stars reblogged this from folkthepainaway
- excusememistersir reblogged this from drakensberg
- desmond-sickamore likes this
- nostalgictea likes this
- cananyoneseeme likes this
- thematterofperception reblogged this from bathedinflames
- bathedinflames reblogged this from maltair
- dream2learn reblogged this from meggannn
- wastingg-my-young-years reblogged this from cursivecloud
- cursivecloud reblogged this from haveievermentioned
- cursivecloud likes this
- miacchi likes this
- ktheprussian reblogged this from saitamaswife
- ayngil reblogged this from heyhihellocheerio
- elementalwatson reblogged this from eugeenol
- heyhihellocheerio reblogged this from longing-for-the-shore
- butlerofthemansion likes this
- xenagos-god-of-revels reblogged this from christhumchinda
- haveievermentioned reblogged this from christhumchinda
- christhumchinda reblogged this from eugeenol
- christhumchinda likes this
- eugeenol reblogged this from theysayfreedomisntfree
- longing-for-the-shore reblogged this from theysayfreedomisntfree
- zombiefeathers likes this
- theysayfreedomisntfree reblogged this from saitamaswife
- saitamaswife reblogged this from pianokeys-and-violinstrings
- saitamaswife likes this